Over time all computers start to slow down and programs take longer to load.
Thankfully, there are a number of things that can be done to help speed up your computer. We’ve listed the top 10 ways below.
- Remove spyware – many computers have spyware and people don’t even realize it. A few spyware warning signs to look for include:
- The computer runs very slow for no reason.
- The computer takes you to websites you do not want to visit.
- You receive pop-ups when you are not using the Internet.
- Defragment your computer – to do this, go to the start menu, then programs, accessories, system tools and then choose the defragmentation tool. Note: This can be a very time consuming process to complete especially if you haven’t done it in awhile, bu the resulting gain in speed will be well worth it.
- Add RAM (memory) to your system – one of the easiest and most effective ways to speed up performance.
- Clear your Internet cache for faster browsing speeds.
- Delete your cookies.
- Regularly empty your Temp Directory – the temp directory can quickly fill up with hundreds of temp files over time, which slows things down considerably.
- Install and run an anti-virus program – do this on a regular basis.
- Uninstall unused programs and files – Let’s face it, after awhile there are a number of programs and files that we simply don’t use anymore. Getting rid of them will give your computer a performance boost.
- Run disk clean up – to do this, go to the start menu, then programs, accessories, system tools and then choose disk clean up.
- Use keyboard shortcuts.